Group Neurophysiology engaged in neurophysiological and related (kinematic, neuropsychological, neuroimaging, etc.) Studies of healthy people and people with various pathologies of the central nervous system (CNS). The work groups have particular importance newly developed methods of non-invasive neuromodulation (MNN) to transcranial stimulation using a magnetic pulse and electric fields. These methods, with which the Group has acquired significant experience and international reputation, allow the selective and targeted modulation of neural circuits and systems relevant for the situation in which we want to influence.
The Group’s activities include how to use MNN for functional evaluation and modulation of excitability, synaptic activation and plasticity of the CNS, such interactions and screening MNN and various forms of training, physiotherapy and medication. The investigations covered a variety of patient populations (with esktrapiramidalnim diseases such as Parkinson’s disease and dystonia, chronic pain and conditions after cerebrovascular insult) and in representative populations of healthy subjects.
The tests include measurement of physiological parameters of sensory–motor activity of the system, the correlation of these findings with clinical parameters, as well as the correlation of physiological and clinical parameters with changes that occur fact MNN. These results, in addition to contributing to a better understanding of the mechanisms of action of MNN, a better understanding of the mechanisms of cortical eskcitabilnosti, activation and plasticity and their disorders. Results of research conducted by the Group are supposed to lead, on the one hand, to define the optimal parameters for use in the treatment of MNN, either individually or in order to improve the effects of other forms of treatment (drugs, rehabilitation) and sports training, on the other hand, to enable identifying the neurophysiological markers of residual plasticity in patients in order to better define (personalization) therapy.
PROJECTS & EDUCATION
- 2011-2014 “Noninvasive modulation of cortical excitability and plasticity – Noninvasive neuromodulation of the CNS in the study of physiological mechanisms, diagnosis and treatment“, Ministry for Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Saša Filipović),Grant # ON175012
- 2011-2014 “Investigation of antihypertensivе and renoprotectivе potential of natural and synthetic compounds in the experimental models of cardiovascular and renal diseases“, Ministry for Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Đurđica Jovović),Grant # ON175096
- 2011-2014 Phase transitions and characteriyation of inorganic and organic systems (PI Prof. Suncica Elezović-Hadžić, Faculty of Physics, University of Belgrade)
- 2008-2010 “System for knowledge management- application in cardiology ”, Ministry for Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Slađan Milanović) Grant # TR-13010A
- 2006- 2010 ”Cortical excitability and plasticity in healthy subjects and patients with motor disorders – neurophysiological studies of mechanisms of development and aspects of modulation. Functional and therapeutic implications, Ministry for Science and Environmental protection of Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Miloš Ljubisavljević), Grant #145083B
- 2006- 2010 ”Ischemic heart disease: Early diagnosis, assessment of severity, and the choice of optimal therapy ”, Ministry for Science and Environmental protection of Republic of Serbia, (P.I. prof. dr Miodrag Ostojić), Grant #145053Đ
- 2006- 2010 ”Evaluation of methods for assessment of the role of muscular and neural factors and their adaptive changes in human locomotion”, Ministry for Science and Environmental protection of Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Slobodan Jarić), Grant #145082B
- 2006-2010 Phase transitions and non-linear phenomena in biological and inorganic materials (PI Prof. Sava Milošević, Faculty of Physics, University of Belgrade)
- 2006-2006 “System for improving work and communication in cardiology of Serbia”, Ministry for Science and Environmental protection of Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Slađan Milanović) Grant # IP8108B
- 2002-2005 “Changes in basal ganglia function in central fatigue”, Ministry of Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Miloš Ljubisavljević), Grant # 1737
- 2002-2005 “Evaluation of muscle function on the basis of motorical tests”, Ministry of Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia, (P.I. dr Slobodan Jarić), 1758
- 2000-2005 Phase transitions and non-linear phenomena in biological and inorganic materials (PI Prof. Sava Milošević, Faculty of Physics, University of Belgrade)
- 2002.-2006. “Basic and applied research on motor control, focus on pathophysilogical mechanisms of musculo-skeletal disorders” Univesity of Turin (Italy)- Department of Neuroscience, Turin, Italy (P.I. Prof. Magda Passatore, Prof Miloš Ljubisavljević)
- 2011.–2015 “Basic and applied research on non-invasive brain stimulation, with focus on post-stroke recovery and chronic pain”, Department of Physiology, EA 4391 at the University of Paris-Est Créteil, Faculty of Medicine – Henri Mondor Hospital in Créteil, France ( P.I. Prof. Jean.Pascal Lefaucheur, Prof Saša Filipović)
- 2012.–2017 “Basic and applied research on non-invasive brain stimulation, with focus on post-stroke recovery and chronic pain”, Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK ( P.I. Prof. John Rothwell, Prof Saša Filipović)
- 2013.-2015. COST action TD1005 „Pain Assessment in Patients with Impaired Cognition, especially Dementia“, (http://www.cost.eu/domains_actions/isch/Actions/TD1005), (Coordinator COST action prof. Stefan Lautenbacher, National coordinator prof.dr Saša Filipović)
- 2010-2011. “Assessment of the effectiveness of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) over premotor cortical target point in therapy dystonia”, Programme “Pavle Savić” (P.I. Prof. Jean.Pascal Lefaucheur, Prof Saša Filipović)
- 2006.-2009. “Digital signal processing”, “Processing od medicla signal”, ICT College of Vocational Studies, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2008 .- “Acquisition and Signal Processing”, “ Statistics in physical education and sport”, Faculty of Sport and Physical Education, University of Belgrade
- 2011 – “Analysis of electrophysiological signals”, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade, (Doctoral studies in Biology, Modul Neuroscience 12b).
- Stratimirovic Dj, Milosevic S, Blesic S, Ljubisavljevic M. Wavelet analysis of discharge dynamics of fusimotor neurons. Physica A, 291, 13-23, 2001.
- Jaric S. Changes in movement symmetry associated with strengthening and fatigue of the agonist and antagonist muscles Journal of Motor Behavior, 32:9-16., 2000
- Laczko J, Jaric S, Tihanyi J, Zatsiorsky VM, Latash ML. Components of the end- effector jerk during voluntary arm movements. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 16:14-25, 2000
- Milanovic S, Blesic S, Jaric S. Changes in movement variables associated with the transient overshoot of the final position. Journal of Motor Behavior, 32:115-120, 2000
- Kostyukov AI, Day S, Hellstr�m F, Radovanovic S, Ljubisavljevic M, Windhorst U, Johansson H. Fatigue-related changes in EMG-activity of the cat gastrocnemius during frequency- modulated efferent stimulation. Neuroscience, 97(4):801-809, 2000
- Kostyukov AI, Hellstr�m F, Korchak OE, Radovanovic S, Ljubisavljevic M, Windhorst U, Johansson H. Fatigue effects in the cat gastrocnemius during frequency- modulated efferent stimulation. Neuroscience, 97(4):789-799, 2000
- Popovic D. , A. Stojanovic , Vulovic, Pjanovic, Radosavljevic, M. Popovic Clinical evaluation of the Bionic glove, Arch Phys Med and Rehab, 80, 299-304 (1999)
- Maksimovic R. and M. Popovic, Classification of tetraplegics through automatic movement evaluation, Medical Engineering& Physics, 21, 310-324 (1999).
- Ellaway PH, Day NJ, Ljubisavljevic M. Magnetic stimulation of the nervous System. In: U. Windhorst and H. Johannson (Ed.) Modern Techniques in Neuroscience Research, Chapter 33, pp. 869-889, Spriger Ferlag, Chapter, 1999.
- Ljubisavljevic M. and M. Popovic, Data acquisition, processing and storage. In: U. Windhorst and H. Johannson (Ed.) Modern Techniques in Neuroscience Research, Chapter 45, pp. 1277-1309, Springer-Verlag, 1999.
- Popovic, D. and M. Popovic, Nonanalitical Control for assisting reaching in humans with disability, in Winters J. and Crego P.E. (Ed.) Biomechanics and Neural Control of movement, Chapter 39: Rehabilitation Technologies and Performance, Springer-Verlag, 1999, in press.
- S. Jaric, S. Milanovic, S. Blesic, M.L. Latash. Changes in movement kinematics during single-joint movements against expectedly and unexpectedly changed inertial loads, Human Movement Science 18 (1)) pp. 49-66 (1999)
- Jaric S, Blesic S, Milanovic S, Radovanovic S, Ljubisavljevic M, Anastasijevic R. Changes in movement final position associated with agonist and antagonist muscle fatigue. Eur J Appl Physiol, 80: 467-471 (1999).
- Blesic S, Miloševic S, Stratimirovic Dj, Ljubisavljevic M. Deetrended fluctuation analysis of time series of a firing fusimotor neuron. Physica A, 268: 275-282 (1999).